Arundel 1 v 1 Hassocks 25/03/2017


Goal Scorer - Harry Russell

Report Courtesy of LEWIS MASON 'The Littlehampton Gazette'

Harry Russell struck on his Arundel Football Club return to snatch a Southern Combination League Premier Division point for them on Saturday.

Harry Mills had netted on the half-hour to fire Hassocks ahead, before Russell’s goal eight minutes prior to the interval ensured it ended 1-1 at Mill Road.

Robins were forced to see out the final 30 minutes with ten-men after Tom Barnes received a second yellow card but Arundel still failed to find a winner.

Despite Arundel coming from a goal behind, manager Richard Towers felt it was an opportunity missed.

Third-bottom could have gone level on points with place-above Peacehaven & Telscombe had they taken all three points.

Results worked in Mullets’ favour with every other team in the bottom six losing, something which left Towers frustrated as his team couldn’t capitalise.

He said: “It feels like two points dropped if I’m honest. My midfield really seemed to struggle in the first half-hour and we couldn’t get into the game.

“We sprung into life after they scored and Harry got a great goal. It’s great to have him back involved for the run-in.

“He’s going to get us goals if he plays and that could be crucial heading into a massive final seven games for us.”

Mullets failed to get going in the opening 30 minutes and they were punished.

Mills was quickest to react following a James Westlake corner, crashing home from eight yards.

The lead lasted all of seven minutes, though, with Harry Russell netting on his return.

Lewis Jenkins and Asa Nicholson combined down the right with the latter crossing for Russell whose swivel and shot found the top corner.

Russell was cynically fouled by Barnes on the hour, which resulted in him being shown a second yellow.

Robins changed things up for the remainder and had the better chances but it ended 1-1.

With seven games still to play this season, Arundel have to meet four teams currently in the bottom seven.

Next up for Mullets is a trip to ninth-placed Loxwood and Towers has a good feeling about the trip.

He added: “We’ve got seven games to go and safety is still firmly in our hands.

“We have still got some massive games to come against teams around us. Worthing United, Peacehaven & Telscombe, Hailsham Town and Wick are teams we haven’t played twice this season, so it’s going to be a massive finish.

“Loxwood haven’t got a lot left to play for this season and it wouldn’t surprise if we got the three points against them.

“It would give us great confidence and a platform heading into what will be a crucial final few matches to ensure our status in this division.”


Report below courtesy of Hassocks FC website. Thank you


Arundel 1-1 Hassocks | Saturday 25/03/17

On the face of it, a 1-1 draw at third from bottom Arundel looks like a poor result for a Hassocks side that have been in good form of late.

But they may look back on this as a big point gained in their quest to secure a 26th consecutive season of Premier Division football come the end of the campaign.

The point maintains a seven point gap to the Mullets who continue to occupy the final relegation spot while Worthing United were the only side in the bottom eight to win.

Throw in the fact that the Robins had to play out the final third of the game with 10 men after Tom Barnes received two cautions in the space of five minutes for the second time this season, it wasn't hard to see why Phil Wickwar was articulating the positives afterwards.

"It was a good result in the end given we had to be disciplined and tactically astute once we went down to 10. We defended excellently from that point on, James Broadbent didn't have a save to make and we could've won the game with the chances we created."

Most of those chances were either fashioned by or fell to Charlie Pitcher. Pitcher arrived last week from Loxwood and scored twice in his first game in Hassocks colours, the under 21s 6-1 win over Eastbourne United Association on Thursday.

Wickwar and Mark Dalgliesh didn't hesitate to throw him in just 48 hours later and it was a lively performance from the striker who has been a regular scorer at this level for four seasons now, which makes it easy to forget he is still only 19 years old.

Pitcher put Hassocks on the front foot early on in a first half in which they were largely dominant. He shot wide when well placed and was then denied by Arundel goalkeeper James Fernandes when a square pass to Phil Gault would've left the Robins talismanic forward with an open goal.

Bradley Tighe was having a whale of a time marauding forward from right back, his best delivery of the day coming when Pitcher sent him away and Gault was a hair's breadth from connecting with the cross.

Gault then played a delightful through ball which looked destined to send James Westlake in one-on-one until Pitcher misread the situation and intercepted it himself.

Jordan Badger was causing all manner of issues from set pieces, clipping the post with a thumping volley and it was from his flick on from a James Westlake corner that Hassocks went ahead, Harry Mills lashing home the loose ball from eight yards out.

Jordan Badger was causing all manner of issues from set pieces, clipping the post with a thumping volley and it was from his flick on from a James Westlake corner that Hassocks went ahead, Harry Mills lashing home the loose ball from eight yards out.

The lead lasted all of five minutes. Arundel had had a few raids into Hassocks territory but Broadbent had been largely comfortable until an excellent Asa Nicholson delivery fell to Harry Russell who smashed home with aplomb.

The second half was just 10 minutes old when Barnes received his marching orders. The first yellow seemed harsh, a tackle that nine times out of 10 wouldn't warrant a card but there could be little complaint about the second as the Robins centre back cynically checked Harry Russell in a decision that, given he had been booked less than five minutes beforehand, seemed a very bizarre one to have taken.

Hassocks changed things up immediately, Mills dropping into the centre of defence with Gault moving back into midfield and Liam Benson replaced Jack Rowe-Hurst as the visitors took the brave decision to leave two up top.

That bold approach paid off as the Robins pinned Arundel back into their half for large periods of the remaining half an hour, the Mullets resulting more and more to direct football aided by the wind.

Hassocks had a couple of chances to win the game late on, James Westlake being denied brilliantly by the feet of Fernandes and Pitcher firing high, wide and handsome when well placed.

Pitcher was replaced by Michael Death for the final 15 minutes and the experienced striker used his body well to hold up the ball.

There was very little in the way of chances created by both sides after that and given the circumstances, Hassocks could be satisfied with the point that the afternoon yielded.

Hassocks: James Broadbent; Bradley Tighe, Tom Barnes, Jordan Badger, Luke Akehurst; James Westlake, Harry Mills, Lewis Westlake, Jack Rowe-Hurst; Phil Gault, Charlie Pitcher.

Subs: Liam Benson (Rowe-Hurst), Michael Death (Pitcher), Bradley Bant, Jack Wilkins,Ben John (unused).

1. James Fernandes

2. Rob Lofting

3. Lewis Jenkins

4. Nathan DaCosta

5. Alfie Bunker

6. Lloyd Walker (Capt)

7. Lee Mottershead (74 mins)

8. Dion Jarvis

9. Harry Russell

10. Josh Biggs (72 mins)

11. Asa Nicholison

12. Luke Richards (74 mins)

14. Liam DaCosta (72 mins)

16. Rob Grove

Attendance - 34

Goal Scorer – Harry Russell

Yellow Cards – Josh Biggs 

Red Cards – N/A

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.