Arundel 2 v 2 Crawley Down Gatwick 16/08/16


Arundel were looking to start the game on the front foot after a poor display on Saturday losing 5-0 to Haywards Heath Town. However, it was Crawley Down Gatwick FC that started the more lively, having the majority of possession and on 7 minutes Oli Leslie managed to find space between Ryan Peake and Jordan Dudas and forced a good save from James Fernandes. It was Crawley Down again that then came close to opening the scoring when a Oli Leslie effort from a corner was cleared off the line by Lewis Jenkins. On 22 minutes Ryan Peake rose well on the far post for Arundel to force Andy Greaves into making a sharp save.

The opening goal arrived on 24 minutes against the run of play when a long directed pass from James Fernandes found Rory Biggs who showed great pace and composure when breaking clear of his markers before firing home from 14 yards. Arundel then had a good spell of possession and on 33 minutes Craig Rennie was fouled in the area by Sonny Barton which presented Arundel with the opportunity to increase their lead from the resulting penalty, Scott Tipper made no mistake and slotted home calmly from the spot to make it 2-0. Crawley Down to their credit battled hard to get back into the game and nearly reduced the deficit when Arundel’s Alex Biggs bizarrely headed against his own crossbar from 16 yards when not under great pressure. Crawley Downs Oli Leslie worked himself some space on 41 minutes and fired in a fierce shot that was well saved by James Fernandes, however, Fernandes couldn’t do anything to prevent Crawley Down from scoring right on half-time, when Kerran Boylan found himself in space on the left side of the area which allowed him time to pick out Oli Leslie, who made no mistake in riffling home to make the score 2-1 at half-time.

The second half saw Arundel’s Lewis Jenkins forced off early through injury, and was replaced by Liam DaCosta. On 52 minutes Crawley Downs Lee Thomas was unlucky to see his well hit angled shot just drift wide of the far post, however 2 minutes later he made no mistake firing home from a similar position with a great strike to level the score at 2 -2.

Barney Boutwood was introduced on 60 minutes replacing Craig Rennie. Crawley Down found themselves down to ten men on 78 minutes when Lee Thomas received a straight red for allegedly raising his hands and pushing Liam DaCosta to the ground. Once again Crawley Down showed great resolve and increased their work rate to make life difficult for Arundel to breakdown. Arundel brought on Jordan Jones late on for Rory Biggs to add fresh legs as they pushed hard to win the game in the final minutes against 10 men Crawley Down. Dion Jarvis very nearly produced an Arundel winner in injury time, but his well struck shot from 20 yards narrowly went over the crossbar.

FT 2 – 2

Arundel Team 

1. James Fernandes

2. Lewis Jenkins (50 mins)

3. Nathan DaCosta

4. Jordan Dudas

5. Ryan Peake (Capt)

6. Dion Jarvis

7. Alex Biggs

8. Rory Biggs (80 mins)

9. Craig Rennie (60 mins)

10. Scott Tipper

11. Asa Nicholson

12. Barney Boutwood (60 mins)

14. Liam DaCosta (50 mins)

15. Jordan Jones (80 mins)

16. Dan Teeder

17. Dan Gibbs

Attendance - 62

Goal Scorers - Rory Biggs (24 mins), Scott Tipper (Pen) (33 mins)

Yellow Cards - Rory Biggs, Nathan DaCosta, Jordan Dudas

Red cards -

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.