Arundel 1 v 3 Hassocks Fc 21/08/2018

Mullets ‘get what they deserve’ in home defeat


Arundel boss Simon Hull had no complaints as his side were on the end of a first SCFL Premier Division defeat of the season last night.

Philip Johnson was at the double while Daniel Stokes also struck, with Hassocks coming from behind to run out comfortable 3-1 winners at Mill Road.

Mullets had drawn each of their opening three league matches before Robins came to town.

Things were looking good for Hull’s side when they took the lead through Ben Gray on 34 minutes. Johnson got his first minutes before the interval and Robins were in the ascendancy from then on. 

Stokes fired Hassocks ahead for the first time on the hour then Johnson added a third a minute from time.

Mullets manager Hull felt his team got what they deserved and said: “We started well and the first 20 minutes we were bright, created chances and looked comfortable. 

“But we showed a lack of composure and maturity in possession and ultimately got what we deserved.”

Arundel welcome division-higher Herne Bay for a FA Cup preliminary round clash on Saturday.


Report courtesy of Hassocks Fc website thank you 


 Hassocks are finally up and running as the Robins got their first win of the season at the fifth time of asking thanks to a 3-1 success away at Arundel.

Phil Johnson netted his first goals since his summer return to the Beacon with a brace and Dan Stokes was the other man on target as a superb Robins display blew away the Mullets.

Hassocks have been threatening a performance like this for time. They’ve looked good in glimpses in their previous four outings without ever managing to sustain it over the course of 90 minutes, normally due to wastefulness in front of goal or sloppy errors at the back.

They had to negotiate a difficult start against dangerous opponents at Mill Road – Arundel came into the game unbeaten in the league and with a hugely impressive 4-1 FA Cup win against Chertsey Town to their name – before going onto control proceedings and run out deserved winners.

Last time these two sides met in December, the Mullets left the Beacon 4-0 winners with Hassocks unable to cope with the movement of the Arundel’s lively forward players.

It looked like it might be a similar story here in the opening exchanges as the hosts dominated for the first 20 minutes. Hassocks looked nervy and it was only once the excellent Harry Mills and Will Broomfield down the right side of the Robins defence got to grips with their opponents that the Robins began to come into proceedings.

The Robins could’ve taken the lead at that stage but for a bizarre set of circumstances. Referee Jonathan Wilks had played an excellent advantage, allowing Hassocks to break and when it looked like that advantage had come to nothing as the ball was played back to Daniel Stevens in the Arundel goal, Mr Wilks pulled back play to award the visitors the initial free kick.

That was lucky for Stevens as seconds after Mr Wilks had stopped play, Stevens made a total hash of his clearance, smashing the ball into the back of defender Nathan Foster which resulted in it looping into the back of the net. Unfortunately for Hassocks, they then squandered the opportunity from the resulting free kick.

A few minutes later and the Robins misery at not being 1-0 ahead was compounded as Arundel took the lead. Hassocks failed to deal with a long ball over the top which was flicked on allowing Gray a free run at goal. Alex Harris did manage to save the initial effort but Ben Graywasn’t to be denied and he tucked away the rebound. 

A piece of individual brilliance from Harvey Blake nearly dragged Hassocks back into it. Blake embarked on a mazy run from left back which took him past virtually the whole Arundel team to 12 yards out from the Mullets goal where his left footed strike was only kept out by a combination of Stevens’ fingertips and the crossbar.

Arundel were just two minutes away from reaching half time with the lead when the Robins equalised. Spencer Slaughter sent a perfect free kick delivery onto the head of Broomfield and his header across goal was met by Johnson who turned the ball in for his 47th Hassocks goal.

Slaughter was again the architect of the Robins second which arrived on the hour mark. This time, the midfielder drove out to the left, riding a couple of challenges along the way before playing the ball into Johnson’s feet. Johnson managed to find the onrushing Stokes who, having been told at half time by coach Mark Price that he could be the Robins match winner, duly sent a splendid strike into the top corner.

Jack Wilkins work rate and movement earned him a few half chances as Hassocks went looking for a third to kill the game off with the midfield three of Slaughter, Stokes and Alex Spinks offering great control throughout the second half.

It was a classic Johnson goal that warpped things up with just a minute of normal time remaining. Blake hit a long ball over the top which Johnson’s explosive pace took him onto and a brilliant first touch saw him round Stevens to slot home.

Hassocks: Alex Harris; Harry Mills, Will Broomfield, Jordan Badger, Harvey Blake; Alex Spinks, Spencer Slaughter, Dan Stokes; Jack Wilkins, Liam Benson, Phil Johnson.

Subs: Jake Lindsey (Johnson).



1. Dan Stevens

2. Ryan Hallett

3. Scott Callaghan (65 mins)

4. Callum Litterick

5. Nathan Foster

6. Dion Jarvis Capt (85 mins)

7. Ash Hawkes (60 mins)

8. Matt Noble 

9. Harry Russell

10. Ben Gray 

11. Shane Brazil 

12. Laurie Smith (65 mins)

14. Obedigh Kangausaru

15. Jake Ebling (85 mins)

16. Liam Brady (60 mins)

17. George Britton

​         _________________________________________________________________

Attendance – 38

Goal Scorers – B.Gray

Yellow Cards – D.Jarvis, N.Foster, B.Gray, C.Litterick 

Red cards – None


Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.