Arundel 0 v 4 Haywards Heath Town 17/12/2016


Report courtesy of Haywards Heath Town FC website. Thank you.

Manager Shaun Saunders kept faith with the same starting eleven that lost 2-1 at home to league leaders Shoreham on Tuesday evening, hoping to see a reaction from his team.

Heath started brightly with Alex Laing hitting the base of the post after just 5 minutes and it was only 2 minutes later for them to take the lead. Callum Saunders beat the offside trap out on the right wing, bursting into the box with the ball where he was taken down by the Arundel goalkeeper. A penalty was awarded, which Saunders himself confidently put away into the top right corner.

Arundel 0-1 Heath

Arundel had some chances of their own which James Shaw dealt with comfortably and Luc Doherty managed to head off the line before Trevor McCreadie doubled the Heath’s lead in the 18th minute. Callum Saunders was involved again as he played a perfect ball through to Heath's number 9 who raced ahead of two defenders, slotting the ball under the advancing keeper.

Arundel 0-2 Heath

Both sides saw chances from distance not trouble either before Trevor McCreadie was denied by a great stop from point blank range on 26 minutes.

Heath ensured they had a comfortable lead going into the break with a Jamie Weston in-swinging corner from the right being helped on by Arundel's Alex Biggs past the despairing dive of the goalkeeper James Fernandes in the 44th minute.

It could easily have been 3-1 however as Arundel's Dion Jarvis hit a sweet strike from the edge of the box which struck the top right corner of the goal frame with James Shaw well beaten right on half-time.

Half Time Arundel 0 -3 Heath

Heath made their first change of the afternoon at half time with George Hayward replacing Josh Spinks, the shuffle in formation took some time to settle as Arundel came out on the attack at the start of the second half and had 4 successive shots on goal, but Heath managed to weather the storm in what would turn out the be the last real threat from the home side as they went down to 10 men with Rory Biggs receiving his marching orders in the 51st minute. Biggs had been booked in the first half for a foul on Trevor McCreadie and kept on causing the referee to blow his whistle before a challenge on Jamie Weston proved to be the final straw.

The game then went rather flat, with Arundel digging in to keep Heath at bay. Max Miller replaced Trevor McCredie on 57 minutes and Joel Daly came on Luc Doherty on 72 minutes.

It wasn't until the 90th minute that the blues made their numerical advantage count as substitute Joel Daly was rewarded for his persistence and direct play as he cut the ball back to Callum Saunders who neatly put the ball past the keeper low to his right.

Full Time Arundel 0-4 Heath

Heath Man Of The Match – Callum Saunders, Scoring two as well as great vision for Trevor McCreadies goal the Heath wide man was a constant threat that Arundel struggled to deal with all day.

Afterwards manager Shaun Saunders said “I was delighted to have bounced back with this win at Arundel, the match had a potential banana skin written all over it but the lads went out there and showed great character with a solid display and another clean sheet .”

1. James Fernandes

2. Nathan DaCosta (Capt)

3. Ash Hunter

4. Pete Butt

5. Lloyd Walker

6. Alex Biggs (73 mins)

7. Rory Biggs

8. Lee Mottershead

9. Harry Russell (75 mins)

10. Can Tilley

11. Dion Jarvis (70 mins)

12. Asa Nicholson (73 mins)

14. Scott Tipper

15. Liam DaCosta (70 mins)

16. Spencer Adams

17. Barney Boutwood (75 mins)

Attendance - 43

Goal Scorers - None

Yellow Cards - James Fernandes, Nathan DaCosta

Red cards - Rory Biggs

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.