Arundel 3 v 3 Lancing 29/10/2016


Report courtesy of the ‘Littlehampton Gazette’ thank you

Barry Pidgeon pleased with character in Mullets’ draw Harry Russell's brace on Saturday moved him to nine league goals for the season.

Arundel Football Club joint boss Barry Pidgeon praised the character his side showed to pick up a point on Saturday.

Having trailed 2-0 and 3-2 in their Southern Combination League Premier Division clash with Lancing, Mullets managed to snatch a late leveller as it ended all square at 3-3. The point extended Arundel’s unbeaten league run to four matches and Pidgeon felt the belief shown by his team will give them confidence moving forward. He said: “To come back from behind twice in the game shows the character we’ve got here. “Despite going behind, I thought we had the better of the first half but just couldn’t get that goal back. “We had a chat at the break, myself and Craig (Stuart) said keep doing what you are doing and keep it tight. Then, early in the second half they get a second and we’ve got a lot of work to get back in it then. “Credit to us, we got one back soon afterwards, then got level. “Having got back in it, they then go ahead once again with not long left and you are thinking what is going to happen next. “We kept going, putting them under pressure and then we got a late goal to get back in it yet again.”

Things did not start well for Arundel and they went behind inside three minutes. Forward Robin Deen nipped in at the front post to head Lancing ahead. Despite falling behind so early, Mullets regrouped and created some decent openings. Barney Boutwood and Harry Russell went close but they found themselves a goal down at the interval. Lancing doubled their lead six minutes after the break. Lewis Finney, who moved back to the club after going to Premier Division rivals Haywards Heath, netted his first goal since making a return to Lancing. The next goal would prove crucial and it was the in-form Harry Russell who got it. New signing Ash Harper broke away down the left before picking out Harry Russell who headed home on 53 minutes. The comeback was complete when Harry Russell bagged his ninth goal of the season 15 minutes from time.

Arundel should have been in the ascendancy but Mike Williamson had other ideas. He fired a 25-yard thunderbolt into the top corner as Lancers took the lead for a second time. Mullets kept going and managed to salvage a point a minute into stoppage-time as Dion Jarvis netted to make it 3-3. Mullets make the trip to basement boys Hailsham Town on Saturday, a team who are yet to win in the league this season. Despite that statistic, Pidgeon is expecting a tough test. He added: “We’ll have to go to them and make sure we match the same standard we have previously.”

Read more at:

1. James Fernandes

2. Nathan DaCosta

3. Ash Hunter (69 mins)

4. Lewis Jenkins

5. Jordan Dudas

6. Dion Jarvis

7. Ash Harper

8. Alex Biggs

9. Harry Russell

10. Barney Boutwood (68 mins)

11. Asa Nicholson

12. Steve Herbert (69 mins)

14. Archie Thorpe (68 mins)

15. Rory Biggs

16. Liam DaCosta

Attendance - 57

Goal Scorers - Harry Russell (2) Dion Jarvis

Yellow Cards - Alex Biggs, Nath DaCosta, Ash Harper, Dion Jarvis

Red cards - None

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.