Arundel 3 v 5 Worthing United 27/09/2016


Report courtesy of ‘The Littlehampton Gazette’ Thank you

Mullets defeat tough to take for joint boss Stuart

Arundel Football Club joint-manager Craig Stuart looked back on his side’s 5-3 home Southern Combination League Premier Division defeat at the hands of Worthing United and said: “It was a tough one to take.” Despite going a goal behind, Mullets recovered to lead 2-1 just after the interval before going down in an eight-goal thriller. Stuart believes United’s leveller from the penalty spot to level things up at 2-2 was the turning point. He said: “I know we’ve conceded five goals but I think we outplayed them. “It’s just really frustrating and I think the penalty decision changed the game. “They scored a worldie in the first half but other than that I can’t remember them having too many other chances. “We need to learn to take our chances when they come, it was a frustrating evening.”

Littlehampton Gazette Report –

After bossing the early stages and only being kept out by some wonder-saves from Mullets goalkeeper James Fernandes, Gilmour gave his side a deserved lead. Ryan Peake could only head to Gilmour and he thundered home a 25-yard screamer on 40 minutes. Mullets were back level a minute before the break as Rory Biggs dispossessed Dave Marsh before firing past Fraser Trigwell. The turnaround was complete three minutes after the interval as debutant Brad Lewis cut in from the left and nestled a left-foot store into the bottom corner. Mavericks were handed a lifeline eight minutes later when Cameron Elder was adjudged to have handled Goldson’s cross. Fenelon sent Fernandes the wrong way to make it 2-2. A crazy spell was then complete on the hour as Fenelon outmuscled Ryan Peake before slotting past Fernandes. Mavericks were pegged back once again seven minutes later with Harry Russell’s long-distance strike squirming under Trigwell. Peake came so close to giving Arundel the lead for a second time with 20 minutes left. He met Brad Lewis’s cross, only to see his effort strike a post, before running across the goalline and staying out.

Arundel looked the more likely in the closing stages before an incredible final five minutes. Substitute Dion Jarvis went on a jinking run beating two players, only to be stopped by a great save from Trigwell. That proved crucial as Goldson struck his first-ever senior goal less than a minute later to help his side on their way to a 5-3 victory. Goldson’s 25-yard thunderbolt found the top corner three minutes before the end. He then turned provider two minutes into stoppage-time, picking out Todd with a cross. He took a touch and rifled home to hand Mavericks earned an emphatic win. Mullets are in league action on Saturday as they travel to Eastbourne United, before hosting division-lower St Francis Rangers for a Sussex Senior Cup first-round fixture three days later.

Read more at:

Arundel Team - ​

1. James Fernandes

2. Pete Butt (78 mins)

3. Cameron Elder

4. Lewis Jenkins

5. Ryan Peake (Capt)

6. Alex Biggs

7. Brad Lewis (75 mins)

8. Rory Biggs (90 mins)

9. Harry Russell

10. Barney Boutwood

11. Steve Herbert

12. Dion Jarvis (75 mins)

14. Nathan DaCosta

15. Scott Tipper (90 mins)

16. Jordan Jones

17. Liam DaCosta  (78 mins)

Attendance - 43

Goal Scorers - Rory Biggs, Brad Lewis, Harry Russell, 

Yellow Cards - Ryan Peake, Rory Biggs, Steve Herbert

Red cards - N/A

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.