Broadbridge Heath 3 v 1 Arundel 27/08/16


Report courtesy of Broadbridge Heath Fc Thank you

Broadbridge Heath bounced back from their disappointing midweek defeat in the RUR Cup to make it three straight wins in the Premier Division, a result which moves Painters team up to second place in the division.

However for the first 30 minutes of this match it looked pretty even, both sides played some good possession football using the width of the pitch, the only thing lacking was the final ball which always seem to fall to a defender and although very early, the game had all the markings of a 0-0 draw.

That all changed though when Joe Holvey broke away down the right flank on 30 minutes and the Heath fullback picked out Shaun Findlay running into the penalty area from the left, the midfielder toe-poked the ball past a defender who crashed into him brining him to the ground for a clear penalty which Jake Holmes converted wide to the right of the diving goalkeeper James Fernandes.

They say goals change games and that was certainly the case with Heath now looking dangerous in every attack, Findlay played a clever 1:2 with Jamal Sultan on the edge of the box and shot inches over the crossbar, then on 35 minutes another Joe Holvey run down the right ended with a near post cross and Jake Holmes nipped in between the goalkeeper and fullback to score his sixth league goal of the season.

Findlay again came close with a header from a Liam Hunter long ball which went narrowly wide of the post but in first half injury time a foul on Holmes some 30 yards from goal resulted in a free-kick and gave Stuart Chester a chance to test his shooting prowess from distance and the former Heath Junior grasped the opportunity by blasting a right foot shot that was deflected by Arundel’s Lewis Jenkins on its way to goal into the net making it 3-0 at the break.

The second half was a fairly even contest, for Heath Tiago Andrade had a bicycle kick which ended with the ball going straight into the keeper’s arms and he followed this up minutes later with a shot from 20 yards that went over the bar. For Arundel Steve Herbert hit a shot from distance over the cross bar and then Harry Russell headed a long ball just wide of goal. With 15 minutes remaining Jamal Sultan got round the back of the Arundel defence but his shot from the angle was deflected wide, then at the other end Russell made a similar move but his shot was well saved by Jamie Craven. Arundel pulled a goal back in the 78th minute when a long ball forward was headed in at the far post by Dave Herbert and that brought an end to the afternoon’s entertainment.

A good result for Heath but injuries to Jake Holmes and Piers McDermott are a concern to manager Steve Painter, especially with so many tough games coming up in September starting with the visit of division leaders and many people’s title favourites Haywards Heath Town on Saturday.

Broadbridge Heath Team: Craven, Holvey, Robinson (Bevan 80), S.Chester, Howard, McDermott, Findlay, Hunter (Godfrey 60), Holmes (Martin 65), Andrade, Sultan.

Arundel Team: 

1. James Fernandes

2. Liam DaCosta

3. Ash Hunter (45 mins)

4. Lewis Jenkins

5. Ryan Peake (Capt)

6. Nathan DaCosta

7. Harry Russell

8. Asa Nicholson

9. Barney Boutwood

10. Dave Herbert

11. Steve Herbert

12. Scott Tipper

14. Jordan Dudas (45 mins)

15. Jordan Jones

16. Pete Butt

Attendance - 54

Goal Scorers - Dave Herbert 78

Yellow Cards - L.DaCosta, B.Boutwood, D.Herbert

Red Cards - None

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.