Haywards Heath 2 v 0 Arundel 10/04/2018


(Above) Dion Jarvis tussles with Haywards Heath's Karly Akehurst....

Report Courtesy of Stuart Morgan– Haywards Heath FC Website

Heath Continue To Lead the Way

By Stuart Morgan

Heath had to overcome a disciplined Arundel side at Hanbury to stay at the top of the SCFL with the chasing team’s right on their tails

Tonight was proof that there are no easy games in the SCFL, Arundel fighting for survival came with a game plan and for 75 minutes carried it out but a Karly Akehurstpenalty and a Scott Chamberlainwonder strike meant it was Heath that claimed the all-important 3 points.

In the first half Heath controlled the game well but actual efforts on target were at a premium and left the Heath players frustrated, both Alex Laingand Karly Akehurstcalled the visiting keeper into action inside the first 10 minutes but after that Heath failed to hit the target with Nathan Copper going closest clipping the bar with a header from a Jaime Weston corner.

Arundel were trying to play on the break but good defence displays across the back prevented any clear cut opportunities. In the 34th minute the visitors made a big shout for a penalty but the referee waved away any claims.

Half Time – Heath 0-0 Arundel

The second half almost saw Heath break the deadlock within 5 minutes but the keeper did well to block the effort and the defenders bundled the ball away for a Heath corner. The resulting corner was only partially cleared but the return effort from skipper Naim Rouanewas over the bar.

Arundel looked to respond again breaking fast but the quick effort was dragged across goal.

Heath’s frustrations became evident as Max Millerpicked up a yellow card through a silly foul and outburst after.

Jamie Westonwas next to call the Arundel keeper Dan Stevens into action as his well struck free kick was pushed away at full stretch. Arundel at the other end also testedJosh Heyburnfrom distance but the Heath keeper was right behind the free kick from distance.

Both Scott Chamberlainand Jamie Westonsaw efforts miss the mark before Heath finally made the break through. In the 74th minute Karly Akehurstsent a throw in into the box a big shout for handball was shouted and the referee pointed to the spot leaving the Arundel players and bench incensed. Karly Akehurststepped up and made no mistake from the spot powering the ball past the keeper who got a good hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out.

Heath 1-0 Arundel

Just 4 minutes later it was the Heath players and bench left in disbelief as what looked like a brilliant last ditch save by the left back with his hands as this time the penalty appeals were waved away.

In the 82nd minute Scott Chamberlainwould finally put the game out of reach of the visitors with a goal worthy of the admission price, receiving the ball from Melford Simpsonand shifting the ball onto his left foot he left the visitors keeper watching as he let fly and put the ball into the top corner.

Heath 2-0 Arundel

Credit to Arundel they continued to look for a way back into the game even at such a late stage, a low worked corner really should have troubled Heath more than it did as it was blasted over.

Heath made a double substitution with Jack Whitmoreand George Brownreplacing Jamie Westonand Karly Akehurst.

The final chance of the match again fell to the visitors but the close range effort was wide of the mark.

Full Time Heath 2-0 Arundel

Man Of The Match – Josh Spinks– Continues to excel at the back taking command and reading the play brilliantly.


Report Courtesy of Lewis Mason ‘Littlehampton Gazette’ thank you

Battling Mullets go down to title-chasing Heath

Arundel Football Club’s spirited display proved in vain as they were beaten at Southern Combination League Premier Division leaders Haywards Heath Town last night.

Second half strikes from Karl Akehurst - from the penalty spot - and Scott Chamberlainhelped title-chasing Heath to a 2-0 home triumph.

Richard Towers’team were left feeling a little hard done by that their efforts were not rewarded with the return of any points.

Defeat proved damaging for second-from-bottom Mullets with basement boys and rivals Littlehampton Town closing the gap on them to just two points.

Golds were 3-1 winners over Worthing United to leave them two points behind place-above Arundel.

Towers’ troops have played three games less than rivals Littlehampton but they need to start picking up points soon to ensure they move away from danger.

Arundel had dealt with pretty much everything league leaders Haywards Heath had to throw at them but were undone 15 minutes from time.

Referee David Josephawarded Heath a penalty, which Akehurst slammed home.

Chamberlaindoubled Haywards Heath’s advantage six minutes from time to see his team to victory.

Mullets are facing a third game in the space of just five days when they make the trip to Crawley Down Gatwick tomorrow (7.30pm).

n Arundel were sent crashing to a SCFL Premier Division defeat at Newhaven on Saturday.

​                    _________________________________________________________________

1. Dan Stevens

2. Rob Lofting

3. Scott Callaghan

4. Lewis Jenkins Capt

5. Elliott Dollner

6. Jake Jephson

7. Scott Tipper (77 mins)

8. Dion Jarvis

9. Ben Mepham (75 mins)

10. Jack Kates (70 mins)

11. Ryan Hallett

12. Jordan Dudas

14. Jake Ebling (77 mins)

15. Craig Rennie (75 mins)

16. Conor Bull (70 mins)

Attendance - tbc

Goal Scorers - None

Yellow Cards - None

Red cards - None

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.