(Res Sect Cup Final) Arundel win 5-3 on Penalties

What a thriller, Arundel are CHAMPIONS  FT 1-1 AET 2-2 PENS 5-3  


Arundel Goal Scorers - Craig Rennie, Pete Butt​

Below Report Courtesy of Stuart Morgan – Haywared Heath Town FC Website - 3 May 2017. Many Thanks


The final match of the season saw the Reserves fail to retain the Reserve Cup after late drama took the game to penalties.

The final match of the season saw the Reserves fail to retain the Reserve Cup after late drama took the game to penalties.

Heath hopes to retain the reserve cup went from joy to despair as late drama took the game to penalties when Heath lost 5-3.

The first half was an even affair with both sides cancelling each other out and a flurry of yellow cards showing the crowd it was going to be a competitive affair.

The second half settled down and Heath had the better of the play but Karel Kutaa saw an early chance go begging just failing to connect with a Trevor McCreadie ball across the line, more chances came and went with Trevor McCreadie also hitting the post.

On the hour Arundel took the lead slightly against the run of play when a flowing move from right to left was well finished into the corner by Craig Rennie.

Heath continued to press but it was a 40 yard wonder strike from Karly Akehurst that levelled things up as he found the top corner with a fantastic strike.

More chances came and went for both sides but it was Arundel who were denied minutes before the end with a fantastic save by Luis Correia who did brilliantly to tip over Steve Burt's superb strike.

As the game started extra time it became quite open again with chances at both ends but Trevor McCreadie having one strike well saved and one only hitting the side netting when a square ball would have been a better option.

With just two minutes remaining it was Heath who finally took the lead for the first time, Trevor McCreadie again got past Dan Gibb and his cut back found Jon Jones who smashed the ball in from 8 yards and what have seemed to give Heath the win.

Arundel did not give up and with the clock on 120 minutes Heath failed to clear a ball into the box and it was fired into the corner with almost the last kick of the game by Pete Butt.

The restart almost caused a talking point as Trevor McCreadie rolled the ball back to Karly Akehurst who with the last kick of the game saw the Arundel keeper Stuart McDonald still returning from celebrating with his teammates and just failed to hit the target that would have gone in if on target.

And so to the penalty shoot out,

Arundel 1-0 Heath Luke Richards

Arundel 1-1 Heath Trevor McCreadie

Arundel 2-1 Heath Dion Jarvis

Arundel 2-2 Heath Karel Kutaa

Arundel 3-2 Heath Steve Burt

Arundel 3-2 Heath (miss - Kieron Joseph)

Arundel 4-2 Heath Dan Gibb

Arundel 4-3 Heath Karly Akehurst

Arundel 5-3 Heath Joey Bishop

Congratulations to Arundel Reserves becoming Reserve Section Cup Winners 2016/17

Many Thanks to Loxwood FC for hosting the final

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.