Worthing 2 v 0 Arundel (Sussex Senior Cup 2nd Round) 01/11/2016


Match Report courtesy of 'Worthing FC website - www.worthingfc.com Thank you 

Worthing beat Arundel to progress in Parafix Sussex Senior Cup

Worthing progressed to the third round of the Parafix Sussex Senior Cup with a 2-0 win over Arundel on Tuesday.

It took the Ryman Premier Division side until the 75th minute to break the deadlock when Harvey Sparks’ cross was turned into his own net by Jordan Dudas.

Arundel substitute and ex-Worthing player Scott Tipper struck the post having lobbed the stranded Jack Fagan as the visitors nearly sent the game to extra-time.

But moments later Worthing substitute Reece Hallard rounded James Fernandes to score the second and confirm his side’s progression to the next round.

Worthing made six changes to the side that won in the FA Trophy on Saturday with Matt Boiling and Ross Edwards returning to the side in a back three.

Matt Hards, dual signed with Worthing United, started in the centre of midfield with Under-18s Luke Brodie and Jack Newhouse joining Omar Bugiel in attack.

The hosts made a bright start with Sparks volleying wide and former Worthing shot stopper Fernandes making strong saves from Brannon O’Neill and Edwards.

Arundel weathered the early storm but struggled to create chances of their own, Fernandes keeping the scores level by tipping away Edward’s goal-bound header.

The visitors had a couple of long range shots in the second half, Dion Jarvis shooting wide from 50-yards after a loose pass from Cook and off target again from 25-yards.

Fagan saved from Barney Boutwood while Worthing substitute Jake Heryet shot wide across goal as the hosts look the more likely scorers.

Arundel’s star man Dion Jarvis kept his side in the game, clearing off the line after Hendon had played a neat one-two with Bugiel and chipped Fernandes.

Worthing took the lead in the 75th minute when Spark’s cross was met by Arundel defender Jordan Dudas who sliced into his own net.

The visitors were a fraction away from equalising three minutes later but Scott Tipper’s long range strike came back off the post having beaten Fagan.

Moments later Worthing effectively sealed progression to the next round when Brodie played in substitute Hallard who rounded Fernandes and slotted in.

Brodie could have made it 3-0 but lifted over from six yards before Fernandes saved from Bugiel and Scott Tipper curled a free-kick just wide from 25-yards for Arundel.

Worthing: Fagan, Hendon, Boiling, Hards (Heryet 55’), Cook, Edwards, Newhouse (Hallard 73’), O’Neill, Brodie (Schneider 85’), Bugiel, Sparks.

Subs Not Used: Belward.

Goal: Dudas (og) 75’, Hallard 79’.

Booked: Boiling 31’, O’Neill 43’.


1. James Fernandes

2. Nathan DaCosta (Capt)

3. Steve Herbert (10 mins)

4. Lewis Jenkins

5. Jordan Dudas

6. Dion Jarvis (85 mins)

7. Rory Biggs

8. Alex Biggs

9. Harry Russell (45 mins)

10. Barney Boutwood

11. Asa Nicholson

12. Scott Tipper (45 mins)

14. Spencer Adams (10 mins)

15. Liam DaCosta

16. Archie Thorpe (85 mins)

17. Craig Rennie

Attendance - 363

Goal Scorers - None

Yellow Cards - None

Red cards - None

Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.